Monday, September 22, 2014

Playing Wheelchair Basketball




When I was a teenager I was introduced to wheelchair sports. I was invited to attend a wheelchair sports camp and was instantly intrigued. I had an uncle who was a quadriplegic and he was a swimmer. Before I became a paraplegic I remember attending his swim meets. That was the only time I had ever seen any type of disabled sport. I was overcome with excitement. Before my accident I was involved in sports. I didn't realize the opportunity out there to be a wheelchair athlete.

After attending the all sports camp I signed up for the next camp and also wheelchair basketball. I had already made several new friends and we were all going to play sports together. Our team traveled out of our area for most of the games. Getting to travel together was one of the best parts of playing wheelchair basketball. Our team was really close and we had so much fun together. We also had  the best coaches ever. They always kept us pumped up and motivated. They made a commitment to themselves to help others and went on to start the adapted athletics program at the University of Alabama.

Playing wheelchair basketball opened up a lot of doors for me as a young, newly paralyzed girl. For one, the exercise I got from practice and games kept me healthier and built strength in my arms. I believe that the most important part of playing wheelchair basketball was that I gained self confidence. I didn't go into detail about the friends that I made or my coaches. These people helped me to see that there is life beyond your disability. I gained confidence from watching them and how they continued on with their lives. Now I use the same confidence I gained from my teammates and coaches to live my life to the fullest.

I played wheelchair basketball and attended sports camps until I graduated high school. My advice to other people who have a disability would be to get involved in some type of activity. Surround yourself with others who have disabilities. As a person with a disability, I go through things on a regular basis that able bodied friends and family cant relate to. Spending time with other people similar to you will give you encouragement and hope. Don't limit yourself to staying home because you have a  disability. Get out and do something to live YOUR life to the fullest. YOU determine YOUR future.

In case you are wondering, here are a few facts about my wheelchair basketball team:

+I played for the Georgia Blazers from Warm Springs Georgia. They are also the ones who hosted the sports camps. Here is a link for more information: http://www.blazesports.org/

+My coaches are both now coaching for the University of Alabama and have led their wheelchair basketball teams to many victories. Coach Margaret and Brent Hardin are amazing people. Check them out here: http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20130212/NEWS/130219961?p=1&tc=pg
Find out about the program they started at the University of Alabama here: http://alabamaadapted.com/

+I was initially enrolled to go to the University of Alabama to study Fashion Design and Marketing and play Wheelchair Basketball with them on their first year as a team. I chickened out at the last minute (the day before I was supposed to move into my dorm). I thought the school was too far away from home so I decided not to go. Looking back I know now that I was an idiot.

+I still have contact with some of my teammates from the Blazers. We have all continued on to do great things with our lives. Everyone is dong well.




No comments:

Post a Comment