Monday, October 6, 2014

A Paraplegic Girl with Shoe Problems

I am currently trying to find a nice pair of boots for fall. I am really loving the tall leather riding boots that are hot for fall right now. So, I am looking for a pair of those. I normally go into a store to buy my shoes. This time I have decided to buy a pair online to get a better price. There's just one problem...well maybe a few problems, from my experience as a paraplegic girl I have a hard time finding the perfect shoes. First, I want to make note that the foot plate on my chair is set for heels. I asked for this because I normally choose heels over flats. Even though I have been in a chair for 15 years I still do not know how to adjust the foot plate on my own. Judge if you want, but repairing chairs is my least favorite thing to do. Anyways, so occasionally I will come across a cute pair of flats that I love. I know that I can't wear them, but end up buying them anyway. When I say that I can't wear them, I mean that my feet don't touch the foot plate when I wear flats and I end up with dangling feet. Since my foot plate is lowered at and angle for heels when I'm not wearing heels my feet just hang there. Moving on, the boots that I really want are flats. So in order to wear them I would have to figure out a way to "fix" my footplate. Another problem with these shoes is that some of them slide onto your feet. Remember now that I mentioned these boots are tall. They go up to your knees. By the time I slide them up to my calf I'll probably break my ankle. Just saying from experience. So, I will need a pair of boots that zip. I did find some that zip but they only zip half way! What's up with that?

Since I refuse to give up I have come up with an alternative. I know that its just a pair of shoes to some. To me, shoes mean a lot and can make or break an outfit. Just because I'm in a wheelchair doesn't mean that I have to wear things that I don't like. So I will find a way around it. Here is my solution. I found some of the style boots that I like with a slight wedge. This will help with the foot plate issue. After searching longer there are some of the tall boots that zip up ALL THE WAY in the back. Yay! So even though I didn't just grab the first pair I liked I can still buy some that I want. This will be my first time buying shoes from the internet. I'm wondering if anyone else has had experiences buying shoes off the web. Is it better to buy in a brick and mortar type store or on the web? Let me know guys! Check out the boots below... And I am not getting paid to advertise these boots. I just like them.


2 comments:

  1. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me, you give me best information! Thanks, very good post.
    1800 Wheelchair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

    Vissco Superior Aluminum Wheelchair

    ReplyDelete