Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Paraplegic gets a Ticket for Parking in a Handicap Parking Space

The other day I received quite an unusual piece of mail. I was sent a parking ticket from when I was in college, back in 2005! What was even more unusual, was that the parking ticket was for parking in a handicap parking space. Needless to say I was appalled. I called up the number on the letter and informed the lady on the phone that I was in fact a paraplegic and more than qualified to use the space. She asked me if "I remember using my handicap tag". I was thinking to myself is this lady crazy?! I don't even remember this ticket, how would I know if the tag was there. All I know is that I have been a paraplegic since 1999 and this happened in 2005. Common since would tell you that I was using a wheelchair at that time. So now I have to give them proof that I was issued a handicap parking tag during that time. What happens if I don't show proof? She said I will have to pay the fine of $100.

I'm curious to know if this has happened to anyone else. Please share what you think and any experiences you have had regarding this issue in the comments below.

4 comments:

  1. Wow really? Why did they take so long to fine you? Does the DMV keep record of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told that they were doing an audit for all unpaid parking tickets. That's why I received one from 2005. The DMV doesn't have record. They referred me to another department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a 25 year old paraplegic and when i was in high school, my little red sports car could always be spotted in front of the school in one of the few handicap parking spots. Every so often I would forget to post up my placard, so I was cited multiple times and had to miss school in order to go to the courthouse, explain that in fact, the red sports car pictures was MY car and that I most definitely drove it to school and work everyday in order to have my tickets dismissed. Unfortunately, I think it is just the price we may sometimes have to pay in order to make sure that the people who really do not belong there are paying the fees and taking the consequences of their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nicole! I used to drive a pink sports car. You can imagine the looks I got when I parked in the Handicap Zone in that car. The look on someone's face when they realized that a wheelchair user drove my car was priceless!

    ReplyDelete