Saturday, March 16, 2013

Wheelchair Accessible Park

We took my son to the park yesterday and since I LOVE how accessible it is, I decided to share it. The area of the park we were at has an "Astro Turf" type material on the ground instead of grass and dirt. I'm not sure what its called but I did find a material similar to what our park has. The material I found online is called PebbleFlex. Here is a view of the ground at the park.



Here is a close up of the material on the ground:



The material looks hard but its actually very cushioned. There were two levels in the area of the park we visited. Both of the levels were equipped with the special material on the ground. There was also a very convenient ramp placed between the two different levels for easy access. You can see the transition of the levels with the ramp here:



I live in a fairly small town and was very surprised to find such accessibility. If you're interested in finding accessible parks in your area I would suggest using Google search. Also another idea would be to install this Astro Turf like material around your childs play area at your home.

*UPDATE* I came across a company that makes playground equipment for wheelchair users. This would be great for children with disabilities. I thought this might help someone. Here is the link to their site: http://www.playlsi.com/Virtual-Catalog/Pages/Virtual-Catalog.aspx .





3 comments:

  1. I just found your videos & blog today. I want to thank you for sharing your experiences & tips. Our son (10wks old) has spina bifida & is L1/L2 paraplegic. I look forward to seeing more videos & blogs. Our town's elementary school completely rebuilt the playground this summer & it's now accessible, including the equipment! :) (My only issue with it is the ground cover is rubber matts & people with SB are prone to latex rubber allergies.) Check out our new playground & the accessible items they used here:
    http://youtu.be/-GcLYqxN5bY
    and
    http://lincolnplayground.com/Donations.php

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

      Rodeo Wheelchair with Spoke Wheel

      Delete

  2. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

    Rodeo Wheelchair with Spoke Wheel

    ReplyDelete