Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"Special Equipment" for Disabled Parents

Alot of people ask me if I use any "special equipment" for my child or myself. The truth is I don't really have many things that are different in my house than able bodied people do. While pregnant I couldn't find any baby furniture that fit my style. The cribs I found for disabled parents were like prison cells to me. Most of them have a door with a latch on the front or side of the crib. Maybe I can add some pictures to show what I am talking about. All I wanted was a crib with no "doors". After searching every department store I could think of, I realized that there was a problem. I could not reach the matress from the side of the crib therefore would never be able to place my baby in or out of his crib. My mother in law offered me a jenny lind style crib that she had. It was used, but my father in law and my husband could adjust the crib to make it work for me. So, that's what they did. They moved the matress up a few notches, which they had to make, and bought a thicker matress. For those of you who aren't familiar with the jenny lind style cribs, the side of the crib lets down so that you can reach the baby. Thus eliminating the "door" that I disliked so much. My father in law also made me a changing table ,that looks similar to a desk, that I can roll under to get the baby easier. Each side of the changing table has 2 shelves with baskets for storage. We added a changing pad on top for extra comfort. The swing that I used is a fold up, travel swing. It doesnt have the longer legs, so you can sit it on top of a sturdy surface and reach your baby without having to lean forward. I pretty much did the same thing with his bouncy seat. I put it on the kitchen table while he was small. Sitting the baby's seats on the table allowed me to transfer him easier and more comfortable. The highchair I use is one that straps on to the dining room chair. The highchair is level with your wheelchair and this makes it easier for you to transfer the baby. I will try to add some pictures of these items to give you an idea of what they look like. Everything I have can be bought at just about any department store and is very affordable. Please comment on any other questions you may have. I hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment